This week, we’ll attend a Crusaders for Christ event called Porn Nation and visit Collegiate Methodist’s exhibit, Faces of Jesus. Unconventional activities for a group of non-religious persons, but perhaps we’ll gain some perspective of these groups by attending their events. We’ll also have a Friday Ask and Atheist Booth and Sunday Brunch. Details of these events can be found below.
- If you were Food Safe Certified last year, please attend the renewal training just in case we end up having an event involving food or beverages. Find dates and times on the AAS calendar, no registration required. More information will be posted about Food Safe training for people who have not been certified before when I have it.
- I’d like to try out Google Calendar as an RSVP system for AAS events. I’ve invited all of you to the Porn Nation event as a test. Those of you who use CyMail can just click on “Calendar” in the upper left hand corner where they can click on the event to RSVP. The same goes for those who use GMail. To subscribe to the AAS calendar, simply type “email@example.com” in the “Other Calendars” box on the left side of the screen. If you use another email website, and need assistance creating a GMail account, or if you need assistance transitioning to CyMail from WebMail, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org. Apologies if you got any emails about the Calendar event, I was trying out some options and Google kept blocking me for making too many changes to the Calendar!
- Last week we had a presentation by Kevin Zimmerman about the Chapel in the Memorial Union. Please read the petition at http://petitiononline.com/chap and sign if you are so inclined. If you are interested in drafting a bill for GSB and GPSS about the Chapel, please email email@example.com. For more details, see https://atheistandagnostic.wordpress.com/2009/09/13/mu-chapel/.
- Later this week, you’ll receive a second email about planing for events coming up in October and November.
This week’s events:
- Monday at 7pm, ISU Crusaders for Christ is putting on a multimedia event called Porn Nation in the Great Hall of the MU. Meet AAS members in the Pride Lounge at 6:40pm so we can get seats together. After the event, interested people can discuss what we’ve heard. For details of the event, see CRU’s website http://www.iowastcru.com/news/. It would be interesting to see what information this group is telling people about human sexuality. The secular group at Purdue went to a similar event at their school, read what they had to say about it at their blog http://blaghag.blogspot.com/2009/09/anti-porn-event-emotional-appeals-and.html. A second showing will be at 9pm if you can’t make the 7pm showing.
- Tuesday 7pm in the East Student Office Space on the 1st floor of the MU across from Panda Express, Student Volunteer Services will be presenting about volunteer opportunities. If you are interested in getting AAS involved in volunteering, please attend this SVS meeting and report at the following AAS meeting. This could be especially important for the upcoming International Secular Service Day on October 18 http://www.secularserviceday.org.
- Thursday at 7pm in the Gold Room, we will have a brief discussion: What value, if any, does the story (or parts of the story) of Jesus have for atheists? After about 15 minutes of discussion, we’ll walk over to the Collegiate Methodist Student Center to view the interactive exhibit “Faces of Jesus” that includes traditional and abstract, new and old depictions of Jesus http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=116031579733. After we’ve viewed the exhibit, interested people can walk to the Free Speech Area for “Sex after dark” organized by ISU Feminists http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=128996323602. There will be a panel of experts on sexual health. It will be a nice counterpoint to the Campus Crusaders Porn event.
- Friday 11am-1pm, meet for the Ask an Atheist / Hug an Atheist Booth in the Free Speech Area between the Hub and the library. It’s a great opportunity to hang out with AAS members, recruit new members, and show theists that we are people too! If you can help carry the sign, etc to the event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday 11am, meet in the Harvest Room of Seasons Marketplace on Campus for Sunday Brunch. For a map and details: https://atheistandagnostic.wordpress.com/2009/09/11/sunday-brunch/. Since we don’t need to reserve a table, we don’t need to collect RSVPs!